- Camping at only 40 minutes by car
- Located in the heart of the Ardennes
- Camping spots & accommodations
The origins of Spa Francorchamps
In 1921, two aristocrats had the idea of connecting the roads between the villages of Malmedy, Stavelot and Francorchamps to turn it into a car racing track. This resulted in the 14 km long Spa Francorchamps track. Large competitions were held, until the cars became too fast for the track and it was deemed too dangerous. Some of the dangerous parts were taken out and the track was adjusted. After these modifications, the Spa Francorchamps track grew into one of the most challenging tracks, and the Great Prize of Belgium F1 returned to the Spa Francorchamps track as well. Despite the many renovations, the Spa Francorchmaps track remains an authentic, old racing track following the landscape's natural curves. As connoisseurs say: 'The Spa Francorchamps racing track is the most beautiful and most popular Formula 1 track in the world'.
Did you know the following about Spa Francorchamps?
A number of facts about Spa Francorchamps you may not know about:
- The exact length of the Spa Francorchamps racing track is 7 kilometers, 3 meters and 95 centimeters;
- The fastest lap at Spa Francorchamps was driven by Schumacher in 1'43”726 in 2002, with a speed of 241,837 km/h;
- The racing season starts around 15 March and ends around 15 November. During this period and outside of the competition meetings, the Spa Francorchamps track is used every day;
- You can combine exploring the mythical track of Spa Francorchamps with a visit to the automobile museum in Stavelot;
- You can enjoy the spectacle (car or motorcycle activities) that unfolds daily at the Spa Francorchamps track for free. To do so, make your way to one of the parking facilities after passing through the village of Francorchamps. When on foot, you can walk to the stands, take a walk through the public zones, or explore the Spa Francorchamps track via the service routes.
A wonderful stay in the Ardennes
A visit to the Spa Francorchamps racing track can be done during a weekend in the Ardennes. You can spend the night at Camping Petite Suisse, where you will be able to choose between a furnished tent, a mobile home or a luxurious chalet. If you'll be joining us with a group of up to 12 persons, make sure to book the luxurious holiday home to turn your stay into an unforgettable weekend. Are you in the mood for a Formula 1 weekend with your friends or family? Book your stay at Camping Petite Suisse now, or contact the Dutch-speaking reception desk. Available accommodations tend to go quickly during peak season, so don't wait too long!